10.Fasten Your Own Seat-Belt First! Minding Educators’ Mental Health
Strategies to Build Personal Resilience in Teachers and Students
Teaching can be a stressful occupation. In this EPV course we discuss strategies to manage stress and increase your own and your students’ self care. The course focuses on practical strategies that you can use not only at work, but in all aspects of your life.
Topics covered include mindfulness based interventions, breathing techniques and gratitude.
Our comprehensive lesson plans and resources provide you and your learners with the skills to overcome challenges and thrive both at home and in school. The aim of this course is to use the Actualise Academy Model of Neuroscience, Clinical/Emotional Psychology and Behavioural Science to introduce Teachers to the various mechanisms and actions that can help protect your own mental health.
Here is a list of the modules in this course, with the learning outcomes of each. We also build in School Self Evaluation into all courses, making the SSE Process as smooth as possible:
Module 1: The Neuroscience of Breathing. Participants will learn:
- The neurological & physical benefits of controlled breathing
- Learn how our brain, body and behaviour are connected and how arousal levels can impact upon our health & well-being
- Learn breathing techniques and ways to incorporate these into everyday situations and activities
Module 2: ACE IT! Participants will:
- Learn about the importance of recognising achievements daily and practicing gratitude
- Consider social connections that they make and identify the positive influence they have on well-being
- Note how engagement can facilitate enjoyment in everyday activities.
- Learn how to teach the ACE IT method to themselves and their students
Module 3: Mindfulness and the Brain. Participants will learn:
- The basic skills of mindfulness
- How it changes brain function
- How it can be used in a school setting
Module 4: Gratitude and the Brain. Participants learn:
- The background to a gratitude-based approach
- How practicing gratitude can improve our well-being
- Complete a gratitude journal entry
Module 5: PERMA Model of Happiness. Participants learn:
- Seligman’s PERMA model of happiness
- The difference between pleasure & happiness
Additional Resources Available With This Course:
Additional resources include lesson plans, breathing exercises, guided relaxation exercises, classroom posters, lesson plans to include issues like resilience and gratitude, gratitude journals and much more.
"The lectures were very well delivered. A very positive course, thank you! Loved the information in course, very informative, and help desk was very helpful in sorting out any issues.
- Ms. Eithne O'Connor
Michael is a Behavioural Neuroscientist who has founded and runs Ireland’s largest Neurofeedback Training and Psychology Clinic. He works with a number of charities too, including A Lust For Life. He is particularly interested in how understanding the brain can help us to make sense of behaviour and mental health. He is a firm believer in empowering people with an understanding of how brains work, because with that knowledge we can help understand each other better and reduce stigma associated with mental health.
Michael has run two marathons in Ireland, and if his dodgy knees hold up, hopes to run the Two Oceans marathon in South Africa some day!